Monday, June 13, 2011

Adventures in Vietnam

By Khiem Vu


Yesterday was the opening ceremony for the school we helped build in Phu Yen. From cleaning windows to painting walls, all the hard work and sweat had paid off. After several speeches and performances by the local children, we had the unique opportunity to personally hand the packages of books, clothes, and snacks we prepared the previous night to all the young students. Since it was the last day working at that site, I will certainly miss all the young kids I got to interact with. Among my favorite memories are the piggyback rides and their wide smiles as they call me "Anh Khiem". They are so full of energy, curiosity, and willing to play every time we arrive in the mornings. One of the observations I will always remember is seeing how the children can make any random situation or object into a game or toy, respectively. So far, my favorite toy is the string looped through two holes in a flattened-out bottle cap, which can be used as a pretty scary weapon if used improperly. They seem to be naturally intelligent and I have never seen them get bored at all! Although I am usually serious and reserved, playing in the sand with the children somehow brought out my goofy side as I entertained them with silly faces. Despite their occasional mischief and my being slapped and teased, I have also grown to admire the creativity of the local children and their ability to be grateful for the minor things in life I tend to take for granted, such as a plastic water bottle or a pair of old plastic sandals. I have never played with children like these before and they inspire me to further cherish the possessions I already have in America. With the completion of the new Sunflower Mission school, I certainly hope for a bright future for them.

So far, this trip has been amazing in terms of the handyman skills and cultural insights I have gained. The food is great and the mountainous landscape in Phu Yen is breathtaking. I have met a diverse group of people, made new friends, and worked with skilled and motivated volunteers. I have also grown to admire the dignity of the locals we worked with at the school site. They are very industrious and do not complain about the amount of construction they have to do. Despite a few barriers in communication, one of the young workers always smiled would always offer to help me with painting or dusting. Tomorrow we will work on another site, Phuoc Hau elementary school, and I look forward to similar, positive experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment