Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Hello, Goodbye

By Monica Nguyen

"Why does it take a minute to say hello and forever to say goodbye?" ~Anonymous

We left Phu Yen today for Hoi An, and unfortunately, we had to say goodbye to some people in our group. They have each touched my heart during the short time I have gotten to meet them, and I will miss them dearly.

CoJet is a cool girl who is willing to sing Michael Jackson's "Heal the World" once she opens up, and who has a great laugh. Nhan may be shy, but she has one of the brightest smiles that I've seen. Frenchie looks suave when he puts on his black button-up shirt, even when it's a hot day, and he has a great sense of humor. Dao is one of the hardest workers I know. He is very genuine, and his facial expressions are priceless when Nanhi prods him into giving her a hug every morning. Chi Ai, who left a few days ago, can brighten any room or a soccer field with just a dried up tree branch, and Anh Hy is the laidback dad of the young'uns who balances his fatherly support with comical relief. Finally, Anh Huy, who is truly a kid at heart, is very inspiring as he interacts with everyone from the people in our group to all the kids we've seen throughout the workcamp.

Although it has only been a week since I have met these wonderful individuals, I will remember them for a lifetime.

2 comments: